Freitag, 27. Juni 2008

Cockaigne \kah-KAYN\, noun: An imaginary land of ease and luxury.

In Germany we called it “Schlaraffenland” and it was always described as “the land where grilled doves fly directly into your mouth”. Everything was eatable and people just lied down under a gentle sun and everything they desired would come to them.

Pieter Brueghel painted a very nice version.



You can see the original in Munich.

I was wondering what I would desire, how my personal Cockaigne would look like and I started to fill it with design-pieces, colors, music, books, leisure, and peonies. Once my greed is satisfied I add health&love for me and my family and, obviously, the more I think the lesser important appear materialistic things. Considering that I have everything I need to shelter and take care for myself and added to that everyone important to me is in the same condition I really feel fortunate, lucky & happy.

He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has. ~Epictetus




looking down. from hrrrthrrr on Vimeo.


Maybe when you die, you come before a big, bearded man on a big throne, and you say, "Is this heaven?" And he says, "Heaven? You just came from there." - Kirk Douglas


If this is not your style and you prefer to be miserable, just read this fine article: Great ways to be miserable! ;-)

Last, but not least, for my technological readers: a very nice, simple add-on for your desktop, the rainlendar – a calendar that allows you to add events and a to-do-list without getting too bulky.

Have a good Friday and a better weekend, Belle

Keine Kommentare: